Thursday, April 19, 2012

Getting to know each other

This summer I'll enter into a new pastoral relationship. Spirit of Joy Christian Church in Lakeville, Minnesota, has called me to be their next pastor. Jan and Joy Linn gathered this community over a dozen years ago and have served as co-pastors since its conception. I have the distinct honor and challenge of serving as their successor in ministry.

When I talked to some of the leadership of the church yesterday, we agreed that it would be good for folks to have some way of getting to know me better. We talked about sending a letter to the church, perhaps sharing some things in my ministerial profile on my Search and Call papers. Some of that will happen. But we agreed that whatever else we did, it needed to be personal and direct.

Just this morning I got a facebook message from a member of the church. He was gracious and welcoming. He also started a conversation with me about race and racism. I started to respond privately but then realized I was writing a blog-length post. Epiphany! I have a blog that's been inactive a while. Why not reactivate it and use it to help the church get to know me? That's what you'll see here.

If you're part of Spirit of Joy, feel free to be in touch. Friend me on facebook or follow me on Twitter, or simply email me, and if there's a topic that might help you get to know me better, I'll share what I can here.

Blessings and Peace,
David

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?