Saturday, March 6, 2010

Draw Me a Sheep

“If you please, draw me a sheep…”
When a mystery is too overpowering, one dare not disobey. Absurd as it might seem to me, a thousand miles from any human habitation and in danger of death, I took out of my pocket a sheet of paper and my fountain pen. But then I remembered how my studies had been concentrated on geography, history, arithmetic and grammar, and I told the little chap (a little crossly, too) that I did not know how to draw. He answered me:
“That doesn’t matter. Draw me a sheep.”

—Antoine de Saint-ExupĂ©ry, The Little Prince, 10

When the pilot met the Little Prince, it was in the wilderness, after crash-landing his plane. The pilot’s singular focus: to repair his plane and get back on his way. This was, as he said, a “matter of consequence.”

The Little Prince, however, was a mystery. He seemed completely unconcerned about the pilot’s plight. Instead, he drew the pilot into his own search… for a sheep to protect his flower from the baobab trees growing on his planet far away. Ridiculous, of course! And a distracting interruption to the pilot! But how often does the overpowering mystery of another’s concern appear ridiculous? Most all the time, I fear.

Except for this: we become responsible forever for those we love. The pilot in time discovered that the Little Prince’s life had meaning because he loved his rose. His life had purpose because he fed, watered, and protected her. He endured her faults and adored her. In the end, he even gave his life for her. In the end, the pilot understood. And he drew the sheep.

Whom do you love? Is there someone you have fed, watered, protected, endured, and even prepared to give your life for? If so, you may find yourself asking strangers odd questions. This Little Prince gives me hope for all of us. Perhaps we each will find our purpose in loving others and draw strangers into a life-giving relationship. Perhaps we will remember we are responsible for those we love.

Along the Way, I wish you God’s peace on today’s stage of your Lenten spiritual journey. May Christ’s companionship bless you with confidence for the day, comfort you in trouble, and put a spring of joy in your step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?