Saturday, February 16, 2013

Cleaning House

When a new boss cleans house, it's scary. When it's just Katy and I, cleaning house can be quite satisfying.

Still, it's daunting to face stacks of paper in the study and partially-complete projects upstairs. Filing has never been my strong suit. Sometimes whole rooms are out of sight, out of mind.

But taking the vacuum to the dust bunnies under the chair, I feel like Don Quixote defending Dulcinea's honor. As Katy sorts Keepers from Recyclables, we both feel better. And by the time I take the last box to the attic and reunite that lost glove (now found) with its mate, a sense of accomplishment and calm settles in. Dishes are put away. Surfaces are scrubbed. Order returns.

If we can do this with clutter, gloves, dishes and dust bunnies, maybe there's a chance for some Lenten house cleaning in my prayer life, too.

For me, it means slowly reading out loud a scripture passage that has nothing to do with Sunday's sermon, perhaps also reading a poem, and humming a Taizé chant I know by heart. However it happens, I clear my mind of distractions while simply being in the moment. It doesn't take long, but it centers me, helps me feel connected, whole.

Things will no doubt get cluttered again, both in the house and in my spiritual life. Still, it's good to take the time Lent brings to put things in order. Without a strong interior journey, the outward journey suffers. I might even find that missing sock.

Blessings and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?