Monday, February 18, 2013

Peripheral spiritual vision

When I learned to drive, I learned to adjust my side view mirrors so I could just see the backside of the car. While listening to Car Talk, I found out I had been doing it wrong all this time. It really does create dangerous blind spots.

To eliminate the blind spots, Click and Clack said to move the mirrors farther out. That way as cars pass from my rear view mirror, they appear in the side mirror. I did this two days ago. I must say, it's taking some getting used to. But the cool thing: the blind spots are gone!

It has me wondering where the blind spots are in my spiritual life. What do I not see because my vision isn't broad enough? Is my image of God too narrow? Are "objects in mirror closer than they appear"? Will I "cut someone off" because I can't see where they're coming from or where they're going?

I must say, it's a bit strange not being able to see the sides of my car. But, I already know where I am on the road. Now I can see others better, which will make me a better driver. If I can figure out how to broaden my spiritual vision, it may make me a better human being.

Blessings and peace.



1 comment:

  1. David, I just read all your entries up to this point. Thank you for your thoughtful reflections as we journey together through this Lenten season.

    Kris Koestner

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts?