Monday, February 22, 2010

Sink or Swim? The Gift of Emptiness

I discovered another picture of freedom one night while lying in a warm, deep bath. I had emptied one of the little plastic bottles of bath oil into the water, hoping that its promise to be “revitalizing” would rouse me from the threat of lethargy and despondency that was lurking around the corner.

I watched idly as the bottle bobbed up and down on the water. Then I held it down and filled it up. I let it go and watched it sink slowly down and settle on the bottom. I fetched it up again, emptied it, and let it float. My childish pastime made me realize that God sometimes does the same with me. I fill up, gradually, with all the things I desire and want to hold on to. The more I fill up, the deeper I sink, until eventually I lie like a lead balloon at the bottom of the bath, quite incapable of movement. Then something happens to “tip me up and pour me out.” It is usually something unwelcome that I resist with all my strength, but it succeeds in draining me of all the attachment feelings I have collected, then something new happens. The little bottle bobs up again, freed of its cargo of bathwater, light, floating, and responding to every wave. This is the gift of emptiness; only in my emptiness can I be sustained by the buoyancy of God’s unfailing love and move on as he created me to in order to grow.

- Margaret Silf, Inner Compass, 161-162

Take a moment and let God tip you up and pour you out. Empty yourself of desires, wants, passions, moods. No longer weighed down, how does it feel to float?

Along the way, I wish you God’s peace for today’s stage of your Lenten spiritual journey. May Christ’s companionship bless you with confidence for the day, comfort you in trouble, and put a spring of joy in your step.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your thoughts?